Part 1, Project 5 Exercise 1
How this was achieved:
2 original files:
I used the quick selection tool to cut out Captain Keith (the cat), grew and feathered the edges, and then copied and pasted into the fungi image.
Then I went to Edit> Free Transform to change the size of Captain so he’d be fungi sized. I then added a layer mask to the cat layer. Then, by selecting the brush tool, I painted onto the mask with black and white until I felt he was blended in to the background. I also created a separate levels layer for the background and the cat, but I also needed to add a curves layer to adjust the lighting on the Captain. I adjusted the curves layer until the he looked right, painted the entire thing in black, and then painted him in white so the effect was only applied to him.
Then I got carried away and did this, which is rubbish but it amuses me.
Here I’m working with ‘mini-cats’ and adding two very hastily cut out images; one is me with my cello (don’t ask) and the other is a photo of the actor Brendan Fraser (the odd shape that’s cut out of him is me pulling a daft face). I didn’t add any curves/ levels or anything to this; it’s just for fun.
Mini Cats Update 19/2/19
I was looking at TinType by Hipstamatic and I thought about using it to make mini-cats appear more authentic. I think it works because of the link we have between a material image, the past and authenticity.